Guidelines of Centering Prayer
- Choose a sacred word as the symbol of your intention to consent to God’s presence and action within.
- Sitting comfortably and with eyes closed, settle briefly, and silently introduce the sacred word as the symbol of your consent to God’s presence and action within.
- When engaged with your thoughts*, return ever-so-gently to the sacred word.
- At the end of the prayer period, remain in silence with eyes closed for a couple of minutes
Thoughts include body sensations, feelings, images, and reflections.
- The sacred word is sacred not because of its inherent meaning, but because of the meaning, we give it as the expression of our intention and consent. Examples: Love, Let Go, Serenity, Peace, Silence, Faith, Trust, Gentle, etc. Sitting comfortably means relatively comfortably so as not to encourage sleep during the time of prayer.
- By returning ever-so-gently to the sacred word a minimum of effort is indicated. This is the only activity we initiate during the time of Centering Prayer.